OK, so I saw the last show of "Black White" on the FX channel.
Turns out, the greatest breakthrough of the show is the same breakthrough discovered in the late 60's, early 70's. Sleep with the black man.
Yup! Sleep with the black man, make society all better!
I was at a Promise Keeper meeting recently, and a black leader said that I was racist unless I let my white daughter marry his black son. Wow. I had no idea who his son was, whether or not my white daughter would tear him to shreds or let him walk all over her; whether or not he was a drug dealer or a missionary saint, and this man professed to discern the intentions and thoughts of my whole heart and my character by saying, essentially, that if I didn't let my white daughter have [sanctified] sex with his black son, I am a racist.
Now, on FX, we have Rose crying to the black son's poetry, stroking the black boys tattoos on her bed, and, of course, having sex with him. Just like the 70's.
Now, to be fair, the show didn't verify that they had sex. But I vaguely remember being a teenage boy. If a girl sat me on her bed and touched my naked chest, she was getting sex. Pure and simple. Am I to expect something less from Hollywood, the bastion of self-restraint?
Thank you, Rose, for setting us back 40 years in race relations. You sought understanding, to "connect, on a soul level, where color difference just doesn't matter," and instead got Jungle Fever.
A few things have really stood out to me aside from this:
Has Brian, the black father, donned white face? Has he gone out to get a job application as a white man? Has he lowered himself to the white race yet? I have seen it on the lead in, but I sure as hell haven't seen it. I may just be missing it (I missed the opener). All I get from him is the expectation of changing Bruno. All this project is to him is an opportunity for the 'whitey' to see all the racism that is so blatently out there. So, while Brian leers at the whites around him, searching in vain for any microscopic signal of racism, black Bruno trudges on happily, and is readily received by the white community for the grand soul that he is, regardless of color.
I do have a complaint against Bruno. He refused to lower himself to the depths of the Dominoe game he was brought to. He should have experienced that for all it was worth. He only complained about it. I would have jumped in, both feet first. Bad Bruno.
I have another complaint against Renee, the black mother ("What black woman goes up to another black woman and say 'can I touch your hair!?'). She threw Carmen under the bus faster than a bullet when she acted 'un-black' at a black beauty salon. Renee reminds me of the chosen popular class in high school, expecting peers to act perfect without communication. Instead of helping this poor idiot hippie to grasp a few fundamentals of black society, she said she can't trust her not to say something wrong and refused to be her friend.
This does, however, bring up a key point about human nature! The black wife recognized the liberal Carmen for what she was, a sniveling, apologizing, self-loathing feminized leftist, and she hated her for it! Instead, she sought out a strong, self-assured moderate (deborate) who challenged another white male about his support of 'profiling' by the local police. Human nature loathes the artificial guilt of the left. They are drawn to common sense strength. Amen. I must say, however, that Carmen hit it on the nose when she said "I... gear toward healing misundersatanding, not re-resurrecting it and maintaining it." Bingo! Her refusal to allow the black victims to dredge up past injustices and dwell upon them made her the devil.
To sum up, once again this week, I see on a scale of 1 to 10, an expectation of 15 upon the whites to experience the black suffering, and about a 0.2 of expecting the blacks to experience white culture and anger. Too bad, this was a PERFECT idea to push both sides to see something different and to become the other.
