Sunday, December 14, 2008

Palin First: Failed Vice Presidential Candidate


Well, I learned something about journalism today!
While reading a story about yet another vicious hate crime against Christianity (The link was actually titled "Arson at Sarah Palin's Church"), something struck me, and struck me hard within the first few sentances:
AP Associated Press
updated 7:36 p.m. CT, Sat., Dec. 13, 2008
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Gov. Sarah Palin's home church was badly damaged by arson, leading the governor to apologize if the fire was connected to "undeserved negative attention" from her failed campaign as the Republican vice presidential nominee.

Wow! I never knew that you could be a failed vice presidential nominee! I always thought that you were part of a failed ticket, or VP for a failed presidential campaign. Realizing that I was just paranoid and brainwashed by the vast right wing conspiracy, I immediately came to my senses and remembered that journalists are fair and unbiased and would never EVER be inconsistent in their reporting.
So, I just googled the phrase "Palin failed campaign as the Republican vice presidential nominee" for a test set, and I came up with about a half a dozen stories labeling her as a "failed" VP candidate. I left "Palin" out of the next set to see how many other republicans fell into this category (do you even remember who Dole's VP pick was? Me either, must not have been a Christian). None. Zip, Zero, Zilch.
Hmmmmm, must just be me, since AP and CNN and ABC and NBC and CBS and PBS assure me they aren't biased, I kept trying.
Then I googled "Lieberman failed campaign as the Democratic vice presidential nominee." Nothing. He was never mentioned as such, only as a failed PRESIDENTIAL contender. The only thing about his VP run was glorious trumpet blaring orgasms about his being the first Jewish-American candidate to run, but no "failed" tags. I guess it was all Al Gore’s fault.
Undeterred to un-sully the perceived stain upon the dress of the mainstream media, I googled again "Edwards failed campaign as the Democratic vice presidential nominee."
Can you guess where this is going yet?
So, Sarah Palin scores another first. She is now the first person to "fail" at being a vice presidential candidate! No, McCain didn't fail as the moderate putz running the campaign, who refused to go on O'Reilly or allow interviews to Fox News, who ran off to vote for the huge bailout unnecessarily interrupting the campaign; no, wasn't his fault at all.
It was all on the good governor Palin for this failure.
No bias here, move along, move along.