
There are times when you want to jump through the TV, grab an idiot by the throat and answer their remark with a guttural spittle spraying roar! The question, posed by Judy Woodruff of PBS’ “Newshour With Jim Lehrer,” was this little jewel: “Are Americans better than people in some of these other countries?”
This was not really a question. This was both a statement and a trap for McCain. The statement is "Only bigoted dopes filled with nationalism would believe Americans are better people." The trap is to make him agree, thereby making him a bigoted nationalist.
The answer to this statement is “YES, Judy, Babe, Doll… The fact that you have to ask this question tells me more about YOU than it does anything else. You obviously have a problem with the proposition that America is, by the grace of God, the best, freest, finest and most exceptional country the earth has ever seen! It is now clear that you don’t, or you wouldn’t have even dreamed of ASKING such a question phrased in such a way."
"Judy, Sugar, sweet-cheecks, you obviously believe that America is not the best country on earth; you intonate that Americans are NOT the best people on earth (and you have only bile and disdain for anyone who thinks this way), so you need to IMMEDIATELY move to the nation you believe is BETTER than America, and here is a check for your trip. Ta-Ta, toots!”
I would have then immediately turned to Rick Stengel, the editor of Time Magazine, and said “So, since this forum is about service, you seem to be servicing Senator Obama mighty well! Will there be an eighth cover for Barack? I do hope it’s tasteful. Thanks for the two of me, you Leftist Pratt!”
Of course, here is the full context of the question so you can feel the shrill globalism dripping from her America despising lips:
“Senator, I want to come back to something you said earlier, I think you used the word exceptional and unique about being an American. On this 9/11, this special day, what — help us understand what you think it means to be an American. And I don’t mean that in the obvious way.
I mean, people who live in Canada, who live in Mexico, around the world feel special about their country, so what is it that’s different about being in America? Are Americans better than people in some of these other countries? We hear the term
“exceptionalism” about the United States."
Of course, McCain answers in his moderate fashion, proving again why he is ‘all the cuddle and none of the coitus’:
“I do believe in American exceptionalism. And I think it was best articulated by our founding fathers. But I also think that my hero, Teddy Roosevelt, expressed it very well, and other leaders throughout our history. We’re the only nation I know in the world that really is deeply concerned about adhering to the principle that all of us are created equal and endowed by our creators with certain rights. And those we have tried to bring to the world. And we have not so much militarily, but through example, through leadership, through economic assistance. Look at what we did for Europe after World War II, look at the continuous efforts we make throughout the world. Look at the efforts we’re making to combat HIV/AIDS in Africa. There’s a lot more America can do."
[Hey, is he getting close to saying America is the best? Are we there yet? Can we cheer??...]
And I love these other countries, and I’m not trying to denigrate them. But I know of no other country in the world with the generosity of spirit and the concern for fellow human beings than the United States of America, and I think that goes back to our very beginnings.
[AAAaaaaaauuuuuugh!!!! You were so fricking close! Hopefully, this liberal schmuck will give you another opportunity…]
WOODRUFF: Does that make America better than these other…?[Don’t go all wimpy… Don’t go all wimpy… Don’t go all wimpy… Don’t go all wimpy…]
MCCAIN: I think it makes us exceptional. I think it makes us exceptional in the kind of citizenry we have and the kind of service and sacrifice that we are capable of.
And I mean that in no disrespect to any other nation, our close and unique relationship with the British. I have — I’m not trying to in any way denigrate any other nation, but it doesn’t in any way diminish my pride in the history of this nation, which has literally shed our blood in all four corners of the earth many times in defense of someone else’s freedom and have tried to further the principles of freedom and democracy everywhere in the world. I think we’re dedicated to that proposition. And, frankly, I think we’ve done a pretty good job.
I want to die! All you have to say is, America is the best and Americans are the best on earth. You aren’t running for the British Prime Minister position (and speaking of that “Just how DO you tell if a British man is gay” poster-child, he is for Obama anyway: http://waugh.standard.co.uk/2008/09/brown-backs-oba.html so to hell with him! Disrespect and denigrate away!)
O.K., so the answers weren’t up to my standards. So he wasn’t direct and hedged and hemmed and hawed around the issue. That wasn’t what pushed me over the edge. No, what got me. What made me shout and curse, is the Obama went on to say EVERYTHING that McCain should have said:
OBAMA: America is the greatest country on earth. But it didn’t just happen on its own. It’s not a gift only, although it is a great blessing that we’ve received. It is also a responsibility. Part of what makes America work is the fact that we believe in individual responsibility and self-reliance, but we also believe in mutual responsibility, in neighborliness, in a sense that we are committed to something larger than ourselves.
Can you imagine the control it took for a man who refuses to wear a lapel flag pin and didn’t put his hand over his heart for the National Anthem… A man who only loves America because it is so willing to be duped by him into changing everything that has ever made it unique or great… Can you imagine the sheer strength of will for him to come out and say that America IS the greatest nation on earth? Not will be, not can be, not “is in many respects great.” No, he said it, then threw up just a little in his mouth.
Yet another example of why people love Palin. She WOULD say it. She would MEAN it. She LIVES it. McCain hides from it. As a result, we find our inspiration in Palin, not in the top of the ticket, and we are sad. McCain did, however, show his likeability when he demonstrated all our boredom with the event by feigning to take an elderly nap, mocking his own age. Funny! He also hit the elitist Columbia University for denying ROTC the right to give students there the opportunity to serve their nation militarily. Freedom of choice (no, not THOSE choices, here, THEEEEEESE choices. Good boy!) on the American Campus! Hooray for the old bull, he scored one. If only he would have demanded this paltry waste of time yawner event to have been held at HIS Alma Mater, the United States Naval Academy, I suspect the yelps and hollers would have come at quite different moments. Too bad he missed the most vital point of all, and hand delivered it up to Obama instead. I guess that's what Palin's for!
( http://www.clipsandcomment.com/2008/09/11/transcript-servicenation-presidential-forum-at-columbia-university/ for quote sources)
